These are amazing cookies. For the most part, the process is similar to other cookies, but the browned butter caramel is special here. I’m not listing all steps because most of the steps are really mundane.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown 2 ½ sticks of butter until nutty and golden brown (this takes a while. Don’t rush it.)
- Put 1pound, 1 ½ oz (by weight) of flour (or 3 ½ cups) in a large mixing bowl and mix in 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Make a caramel:
-Put the melted butter in a bowl and add 1 stick of non-melted butter
-Add 1 cup granulated sugar to the butter
-Add 1 ½ cups of brown sugar; if light, add a little molasses
-Add 2 teaspoons of salt
-Add 4 teaspoons of vanilla extract
-Stir to combine
-Add 2 egg yolks plus 2 whole eggs
-Mix in 3 sessions [for each session, stir for 30 seconds and rest for 2 minutes] until a caramel is formed.
- Stir in the flour and 2 cups of chocolate chips.
- Note: do not multi-task while baking the cookies. They will burn.